Centre for water management excellence
Development and implementation of new sustainable technologies applied to the management of water as a basic resource of the circular economy.
Eurecat applies the concepts of sustainability and circular economy to the new technologies, to improve the integral water cycle, which increases the competitive edge of many business sectors while benefitting society as a whole.
In addition to the experience and scientific and technological talent of the Eurecat team, the Centre has laboratories and pilot plants, scientific equipment and data processing centres. All of these facilities enable Eurecat to meet the current and future challenges of water management, which form the main lines of its current R & D & I:
– Water treatment, regeneration and re-use
– Recovery of valuable components from water (nutrients, metals and biomolecules).
– Purification and distribution.
– The water-power connection, with special emphasis on the production of energy tied to water treatment.
– Decontamination of underground waters (nitrates, hydrocarbons, organochlorine compounds and metals).
– Quantitative analysis of the risk for human health.
– Analysis of the life cycle and costs of water management.
– Advanced chemical and microbiological analyses.
– Design, development and deployment of smart tools and platforms for:
- Flood management.
- Watering management.
- Water assignment and water distribution.
- Management of pumping systems.
- Management of wastes associated with the water cycle.
- Comprehensive resource management (“water-energy-food nexus”).
- Analysis of user profiles and consumption.
– Decision Support Systems.
– Applied artificial intelligence, optimisation algorithms, semantic website and connected data.
– Descriptive, predictive and prescriptive analytics.
– Interoperability systems and exchange of information based on open standards of the water domain.
– Simulation tools
– Games and gamification.
– Mobile applications.
Eurecat is at the helm of the RIS3CAT Water Community which is a cooperative innovation strategy that brings together companies and suppliers of knowledge headquartered in Catalonia that are closely tied to the water sector.
At the international level, Eurecat is a member of Watershare®, where centres of excellence around the world pool their knowledge through the creation and use of expert information tools for the water sector. It also forms part of the Hydrology Work Group of the “Open Geospatial Consortium” OGC®; and it is a member of “EIP on Water Action Group”, where it is a working member of the CTRL-SWAN and a leader of the “City Bluepints”, Additionally, Eurecat is a member of the ICT4Water Cluster, which brings together the projects funded by the European Union in the ICT and water fields.
Finally, Eurecat is a member of the CWP (Catalan Water Partnership) and the PTEA (the Spanish Water Technology Platform).